According to Ric Edelman, author of Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth, the purpose of a rsum is not to get a job, it's to get an interviewyou will get the job. A rsum should not list all your skills, but rather tease the employer with your achievements. These are ways to make your rsum stand out. 《平凡人,非凡财富》一书的作者Ric Edelman觉得简历的目的不是获得工作而是获得面试的机会;然后你才能获得工作。简历不该列举所有技能,而是要用成绩来引诱面试官。 下面的办法可以叫你的简历崭露头角。
1. Broaden your work experience. 将工作经验适用范围拓宽
* Describe your job skills in ways that are transferable to other industries. 描述工作技能时,要让这类技能看起来可以应用到其它行业。
* Don't limit yourself to a specific type of job by simply listing the daily tasks you performed at your job. Expand on how your job impacted the business industry or company. 不要只列出过去具体的工作,这会给自己设定局限。而是描述你的工作如何影响到整个行业或公司。
2. Use strong verbs. 用词要有力
* Don't talk about your capabilities1. Talk about your accomplishments2. 不要谈论你的能力,而要谈论成绩。
* Use active tenses rather than passive voice. 用主动语态。
* Good words to use are managed, created, led, accomplished3 and organized. 一些合适的词语有:管理了、创建了、领导了、获得了、组织了。
3. Target a specific person. 目的读者要明确
Address your cover letter and envelope to a specific person. Usually a simple phone call to the company is all you need. 在你的求职新和信封上写上明确的收件人。一般打个电话就能知道需要的所有。
4. Target a specific position. 职位要明确
Identify the position you are interested in and tweak your rsum to match the industry. 注明你有兴趣的职位,将简历稍稍改变以和职位匹配。
5. Make it easy to read. 易于阅读
* When writing your rsum think, Less is more. Many people make the mistake of putting too much information on their rsums. 写简历时应该少胜于多。很多人会犯把太多信息放入简历的错误。
* Don't write to the edges of the paper. Leave white space in the margins4 and in between jobs. 不要在纸边上写。要留出适合的页边距,所列的工作之间也该留出适合的行距。
* Use a readable font at a reasonable size. 使用大小合理便捷阅读的字体。
* One page only. 只写一页纸。
And finally Take your new rsum everywhere you go. It is your new calling card! 最后要随身携带你的简历。它就是你的新名片!